Sunday, April 26, 2009

Another design triumph :-)

I LOVE formica, especially the woodgrain one :-)

99% of people HATE it, but i think it is cool! If it is up to me, i would go back to the 1960s/1970s and live in cool homes of that era, surrounded by formica, cool mahogany sideboards, fully stocked vinyl-padded bars, outrageous lighting and punchy colors.

I have been noticing a lot of formica pieces in retro shops in Auckland and around, making a bit of a comback lately... (yey!). This is why I have decided to put one of my customized formica pieces for sale on TradeMe. It is the cutest little coffee table which i have customized by applying a sort of reverse stencil of a fantail on it.


I loved it for so long but i am running out of space so it was time for it to fly away to someone who will love it even more.

The auction was a blast - it had 80 watchers on it (I still cant believe this number!!!) and after a bit of a bidding war, sold at $165.


I think it is precious and worth way more, but it is wonderful to see other people appreciating these gorgeous pieces that are sturdy as anything, even though they are 40 years old. Not to mention that they were not made in China and that they will last another 40 years. :-)

I will be making another piece, similar to this one, as soon as i find time. It will be offered for sale on Trademe again, for those 79 people who have missed out ! :-) In the meantime, some more pics of a lovely coffee table:



1 comment:

Kirsty Myron said...

the table is amazing! when is your shop open??

Kirsty